Sunday, July 16, 2017

Overview of Nonfiction Text Structures

What is "text structure"?

  • A "structure" is a building or framework
  • So, "text structure" refers to how a piece of text is built
  • Writers use different text structures to build, or organize, their ideas


Why learn about text structure?

  • Identifying and understanding the structure of a text can help you:
    • make sense of the information
    •  remember what you read
    • organize the information in your mind
    • figure out what information is important and what is "extra
  • Knowing text structure helps you to be a better writer.


What are the different types of text structures?

  • Chronological Order (also known as Sequential Order)
  • Cause and Effect
  • Problem and Solution
  • Compare and Contrast
  • Description

Examples using the same topic of "pancakes":
  • Chronological (Sequential): First, I mixed the pancake mix with water.  Then, I poured the batter into a hot oiled skillet.  After the batter started to bubble, I flipped the pancakes.  Last, I took the pancakes out of the skillet and put them on a plate.
  • Cause and Effect: When I put the liquid pancake batter on the hot skillet, they bubbled, became golden-brown, and turned into fluffy cakes.
  • Problem and Solution: It was 10 a.m. and I hadn't eaten yet.  My stomach was growling.  So, I decided to make some pancakes.
  • Compare and Contrast: Pancakes and waffles are very similar and are oftentimes even made out of the same batter.  However, pancakes are almost always round and have a smooth surface.  Waffles, on the other hand, can be different shapes (usually round or square) and have an indented, checkered surface.
  • Description: The hot, buttery, fluffy pancakes melted in my mouth.  I licked the sticky syrup off of my fork.  I could hear the bacon sizzling on the stove that would soon be ready.

Check out the different pages for nonfiction text structure links, informational images, and videos!

No comments:

Post a Comment